Aromas and flavours are powerful things. On one level they are stimuli for the senses, but on another, they spark things deep in our minds. Memories, ideas and relationships float alongside them and for many of us, the end of each year sees a unique array of foods and drinks spiced and flavoured in a way that clearly shouts ‘Holiday Time!’
And so, to celebrate this time of family, friends and sensory delights, have fun playing with our Spiced Cold Brew recipe below – a great, super easy way to get the day started as the weather warms up.
Spiced Cold Brew
Makes 500ml, serves 3. Uses a Kalia Wave 185.
- 40g (or 80g/litre ratio) of your favourite coffee roasted for filter or espresso (we used the Los Santos from Guatemala for this brew)
- 500ml filtered water
- 1 clove
- 6 whole allspice
- A small curl of orange zest (or replace with 4 pieces of cascara if on hand!)
- A thumbnail size slice of fresh ginger
- Grind your coffee a little coarser than you would for filter (22 – 26 on a Baratza Encore).
- Place your ground coffee, spices, ginger and orange zest into your preferred carafe, jar or tupperware and seal with lid or clingfilm.
- Place in your fridge overnight to allow the magic to happen (12hrs).
- Place the Kalita Wave with paper over your favourite carafe or serving vessel and slowly pour the steeped brew through the filter to take out grinds and spices.
- Serve out to family and friends over ice for a refreshing kick start to the day.
- Play with grind size to find your preferred strength of extraction depending on origin, roast and age of the coffee you’re using.
- Start with 60g of coffee for 500ml of water and then cut the resulting concentrated cold brew with 50% sparking water for an elegant alternative.
- Turns out Rum is good not just for splashing over your Christmas ham — add a 30ml dash into your Cold Bru carafe for a delicious after dinner finisher.
- These are just the spices that get us excited but we’re sure you have your own that spark up special memories! While experimenting with your favourite flavours, add ingredients sparingly — the idea is to gently compliment a delicious coffee with hints of the season.
Check out our extended Cold Brew guide for further tips.
Want to make bulk batches of this delicious festive treat? Toddy Cold Brew System will brew up to 2L of the good stuff!