Peak Water Jug
The world’s first adjustable gravity-fed water filter designed specifically to optimise brewing water for coffee making.
You could say it was a ‘watershed’ moment for the coffee industry when three-time UK barista champion Maxwell Colonna-Dashwood and PhD chemist Christopher Hendon co-wrote the book ‘Water for Coffee’ in 2015. The book highlighted the very real effect of water quality on the result in the cup.
Lively discussions abounded both at professional specialty coffee events and online, culminating in a sort watery milestone last week when a dedicated water forum was established as part of the influential online community Home-Barista.com. The book also set the stage for a variety of water treatment products, like Aquiem and Third Wave Water, which have since emerged to help people manage this fundamental variable more effectively.
Now Colonna-Dashwood and Hendon have returned to make another splash (as it were), with their Peak Water jug offering. Drawing on their knowledge and the perspectives originally offered in the book, they have created a handy, cost effective household-style filter pitcher which aims to transform regular tap water into something closer to ideal for brewing coffee.
What's in the Box
The Peak Water Jug comes with:
- Jug Body
- Lid & Bypass Pin
- Filter Cartridge
- 2x Water Test Strips
How to set it up:
- To disassemble the Jug, open the fill flap by pressing down on the indentation towards the rear of the Lid.
- You can now easily grip the Lid and lift it, and the attached Bypass Pin, away from the Jug Body.
- Set the Lid to one side and lift the Liner from the Jug Body, revealing the wrapped Filter.
- Extract the Filter and remove its packaging.
Jug size: 220mm (L) x 270mm (W) x 110mm (D)
Water Chamber: holds 1.2ltrs of filtered water
Prepare Peak Water
- Lower the Liner back into the Jug Body and place the newly unwrapped Filter into the Liner. The Filter will slide into place at the bottom of the Liner.
- With a small amount of pressure, press down on the Filter to seal it to the bottom of the Liner.
- Set the dial on the Lid to the RELEASE position.
- Replace the Lid onto the Jug Body. Make sure the Bypass Pin couples with the Filter as shown in the diagram below.
Prime the Filter
- Set the dial to position 4 and fully fill the Jug with cold tap water.
- Allow the water to filter completely and discard. Filtration should take approximately 3 minutes.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 twice more.
- Your filter is now ready to use!
NOTE: This priming process should be completed with every new Peak Water Filter Cartridge.
Test your Tap Water & Recommended Settings
- Run your cold tap for a few seconds and take a sample of 200ml (a small glass of water).
- Remove a Test Strip from its packaging and submerge in the water for 5 seconds.
- Remove and hold for 10 seconds. The yellow tab should now have changed colour.
- Compare your results with the chart (below) and move the Peak Water dial to our recommended setting.
Replacing a Used Filter
When your Filter has come to the end of its life, you will need to remove and replace it with a fresh one. Here’s how:
Simply hold the dial in the RELEASE position, remove the Lid and use the ring pull to lift the Filter up and out of the Liner.
NOTE: Remember to prime each new Filter Cartridge, as outlined above.
Five Senses provides a 12 month non-consumable parts warranty on all Peak Water products sold in Australia. If you think that any parts of the jug or filter that are damaged or broken due to defective manufacturing or shipping, head over to our Peak Warranty Claim Portal.