Explorer’s Edition: Zukuka Bora
Live streaming delicious coffee and community. Welcome to edition #03!
Welcome to Explorer’s Edition #03 where we’ll be pairing three unique small lots of coffee with a live streamed video interview as we travel all the way to their origin in East Africa and the striking slopes of Mt Elgon, Uganda.
With a long history of coffee, our exposure in Australia to Ugandan coffees – especially quality ones – has waxed and waned over the past couple of decades. The quality Arabica coffee species preferred by the specialty industry has been sidelined at origin by a lack of financial return in the Ugandan market and significant gaps in infrastructure that put a ceiling on quality. All of the ingredients are there though – volcanic soils, good rainfall and high altitudes – along with farming communities keen to use coffee as a vehicle for better lives.
Seeing the potential for both delicious coffee and business that would help bolster local communities, Ugandan NGO, JENGA Community Development launched the Zukuka Bora Coffee Company. With coffee farmers at the heart of this project – and as joint shareholders – the team at Zukuka Bora set-to, supporting them with tools, training, financing and, critically, the establishment of local mills to process the coffee.
Edition #03 will feature three unique lots to come out of this great project:
- Wanale AA – a washed lot from the Bukhanakwa Farmers Group.
- Tangwen – a natural lot from the Tangwen Farmer Group.
- Kabweya – an experimental fermentation from the Kapchorwa Smallholders.
- More live event information will be sent to those ordering the collection.
- The collection features 3 x 100g of coffee.
- All coffees roasted to a filter profile.
- All coffees will be roasted and dispatched 06 / 08 / 2020
- No discounts applicable on this product.
- As this product is a pre-order, you will not be able to add anything else to your cart. If you’re keen to grab something extra, email us and we’ll help you out!
How to Participate
|LIVE EVENT: Tuesday 11th August, 4pm WST / 6pm AEST.
With your pre-order of Edition #03 you can get involved in two ways; brew up these delicious coffees at your own pace when they arrive or, alternatively, hold onto them and brew all three up to taste alongside us during our live video stream, hosted by our Q Grader instructor, Ben Bicknell, with input direct from the Zukuka Bora team on the ground in Uganda.
About Zukuka Bora Coffee Co
The Zukuka Bora Coffee Co was set up in 2016 to support the people of Mt Elgon in many different ways. While coffee farmers are at the heart of the project, the profits from the project are used to support their partner NGO – JENGA Community Development. JENGA have been working in the Mt Elgon area for more than 15 years, and had laid much of the groundwork for Zukuka Bora to be able to build relationships with farmers and their communities.