Five Senses Coffee is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website or Five Senses associated email marketing automation platforms, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Who we are
Five Senses Coffee Pty. Ltd. (based in Australia), with the inclusion of its associated business (The Australian Barista Academy Pty. Ltd., also based in Australia) collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you.
As the Five Senses Coffee website and its automated email marketing platforms reach is beyond Australian borders and in some cases within the European Economic Area, adhering to GDPR regulations is necessary.
When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
The personal information we collect and use
Information you provide voluntarily
Information we automatically collect
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs.
We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system. Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you getting the full experience of the website.
Information through associated email marketing automation platforms
We do pass on your personal information to our email marketing automation platforms for the purpose of email marketing campaigns.
Information from elsewhere
Five Senses Coffee and our email marketing automation platforms may obtain information about you or end-users from third parties, such as public databases, social media platforms, third party data providers and our marketing partners. Examples of the information we may receive from other sources include device information (e.g. IP address and browser), location, behavioural data and demographic information. We may use this information, alone or in combination with other information described above, to develop or provide more relevant customer experiences or tailored email campaigns.
Public information & third-party sites
Five Senses Coffee maintain presences on social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Your interactions with these platforms are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide them. Anything you submit to Five Senses via a social media platform is done so at your own risk without any expectation of privacy.
Further, any comments or information you supply on any blog that Five Senses operates can be read, used or collected by anyone. If your information appears in our blog pages and you want it removed, contact our Marketing team and we’d be happy to do that: email@example.com.
How we use your personal information
We use and disclose personal information to:
- We may use the information to supply, improve and support the products and services we provide (this includes using the data you provide to use the Five Senses Coffee website and sharing this with our email marketing automation platform to improve the services that we provide);
- Send you information and promotional content (this may include sharing your information with our email marketing automation platform). You can amend your marketing preferences in our preference centre or stop receiving messages or emails by unsubscribing;
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- Confirm your identity in using the Five Senses Coffee website;
- Perform the obligations under applicable law (e.g. to communicate with you and provide support);
- Protect, investigate and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorised or illegal activity;
- Fulfil requests that you may make;
- To process payments. Note that we use third-party payment gateway providers for secure credit card transaction processing, and we send billing information to those third parties to process your orders and credit card payments.
- Send notifications about the Five Senses Coffee website; and
- Bring or defend legal proceedings, meet legal requirements (e.g. complying with court orders, enforcement actions, or other legally valid mechanisms) or respond to lawful requests by public authorities or law enforcement requests;
Further to the uses described above, we may transfer personal information of you to various third-party software and services, including analytics services, to help understand your usage of our products and services. In particular, we provide a limited amount of your information (such as your email address and sign-up date) to select third party services to collect data for analytics purposes when you visit our website or use our products and services. This allows Five Senses Coffee to monitor your use of our website, products and services and tracks our relationship so that we can improve our service to you. We may also use these third-party services for communications, either through email, or through messages within our products and services. As part of our service agreements, these third-party services may collect publicly available contact and social information related to you, such as your name, email address, gender, company, job title, photos, website URLs, social network handles and physical addresses, to enhance your user experience.
How long your personal information will be kept
In providing products and services to you, we will hold personal information for as long as we are providing you the products and services for or in order to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or prevent abuse. Otherwise, we only hold personal information for as long as is necessary.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
In relation to Five Senses Coffee direct customers, the lawful basis for which we rely on to collect and process your data is with consent, as typically you would have signed up to use one of our many information or educational services, or to buy our products.
If you are not a Five Senses Coffee direct customer, we rely on legitimate interest as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data in relation to contacting you further in certain situations. Our legitimate interests are usually to provide individuals with details of our products or services through direct marketing. If you are an individual, the basis on which we collect and use your personal data to contact you is often consent.
If you have any questions about the lawful basis on which we are processing your personal data, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since we’ve adopted the General Data Protection Regulation, you have a number of important rights free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
- fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information
- access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information that this Privacy Notice is already designed to address
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit that data to a third party in certain situations
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing
- object to decisions being taken by automated means which produce legal effects concerning you or similarly significantly affect you
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, lodge a data subject request, or have a complaint or question, please email, call or write to our Data Protection Officer at email@example.com.
If you would like to unsubscribe from any email newsletter you can also click on the ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of the email. It may take up to 72 hours for this to take place.
Keeping your personal information secure
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality. We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was published on 25 May 2018. We may change this privacy notice from time to time, when we do we will inform you via email.
Controlling your personal information and how to contact us
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any direct marketing email you might receive.
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the GDPR. If you would like a copy of the information held on you or if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you please contact our Data Protection Officer on email@example.com, or write to Data Protection Officer, Five Senses Coffee, 300 Rosslyn Street, West Melbourne Vitoria, 3003 or call 03 9239 6200.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.