Beyond The Cup
Raw Material are a social enterprise with 100% of the profit going to producers and community-level investments. Their entire business model focuses on improving both the cup of coffee, and what lays beyond!
Flood damage at Shyira coffee washing station, May 2020
Rwanda Landslide Appeal
Back in May 2020, devastating rains, flooding and mudslides swept through the coffee producing Nyabihu District in northern Rwanda with a tragic loss of 28 lives and wide spread damage. The legends at Raw Material along with Rwandan in-country representatives, Muraho Trading Co, kicked into action and pulled together some incredible well coordinated, speedy and impactful emergency responses. With a clear plan and direct communications from Raw Material, much of their wider coffee network, Five Senses included, donated to this, as well as participating in the Nyabibrew 2020 Fundraiser.
View this post on Instagram
Phase 1: Meet immediate needs – Completed!
- Clear 170 debris sites
- Distribute food (rice, maize flour, beans and sunflower oil) to 312 families
- Distribute care packages (gumboots, kitenge, towels, rain jacket, cooking pot) to 312 families
Phase 2: Support Recovery
Progress has begun and fundraising is still on going.
Phase 3: Build Resilience
- Rebuild 35 houses
- Rebuild 10 non-residential buildings
- Replant 4,500 coffee trees
- Replant 15 hectares of beans and maize
- Replant 7 hectares of banana
- Replant 4 hectares of sweet potato and yams
- Replant 507 assorted fruit trees
- Provide income support 247 farmers whose livelihood will be lost or affected before these new crops harvest
Aiming to find this area in a better condition than pre-flooding, Raw Material are planning simple upgrades to the housing which will greatly increase the health of the community. Things often taken for granted such as sealed floors (can reduce childhood diarrhea by 49% and parasitic infections by 28%), gas cooking stoves and solar power for lighting homes.
You can read Raw Material’s full recovery plan, with updates, here: Rwanda Landslides Recovery Plan
Learn more about Raw Material